Sunday, October 26, 2008

SOS and more

It's been about 3 weeks now since my son started doing the SOS English and History programs. It's going well for the most part. I've been checking over his work either before I go to bed or when I get up in the morning. He's doing well in all his subjects. His problem seems to be the projects and essays. I did not set up a term so there are no due dates on any of the lessons. He has skipped over the essays in English and some of the Projects/Experiments in Chemistry. I told him he is to have the essays done by the end of this coming week, or I will go back in and set up a term. Then he WILL have due dates. He's been doing two or more lessons/quizzes a day which is good. So I'm happy about that. I just wish he'd do the essays/projects/experiments a little faster.

He is suppose to be doing Wordly Wise too. I get frustrated with him because he doesn't tell me he's completed something and then give me the paperwork. He says he puts it on the cabinet, but how am I suppose to know unless he tells me? I guess I'm going to have to redo my assignment calendar so that he will do the other work that I want him to do. I still want him to do some of the worksheets I printed out for History. We are watching a video on English grammar from Standard Deviants that I hope will help him to understand grammar better. We have other videos to watch also.

I've thought about finding a tutor to work with him on his writing/composition. Maybe that's why he's been putting off the essays in English? He has some problems with writing complete sentences that actually make sense. I think he writes the way he talks sometimes. I should have made him write more when he was younger. That's mostly my fault. My own reading disability caused me to shy away from having to try and understand what he had written. I should have had someone else (like my husband) do that for me. So now we have to buckle down and work extra hard on that.

I am concerned about my son's social life or rather lack of it. He is more interested in playing his online video games than anything else. If he didn't have bowling, judo and now teen court to do, he'd never go anywhere. He likes being around other kids his age and always has a great time whenever there is some sort of activity going on. Unfortunately, there aren't that many kids his age to hang out with, and the ones there are, don't live close by. Everyone else is so busy, that I can't even get the teen group I started to do anything. I've tried to plan a couple of events but only got a couple of responses so ended up canceling the event. I'm getting real discouraged and have thought about doing away with the teen group. I could always keep in touch with those people in the group if I wanted to have a get-together.

I remember when I was in high school. I had a core group of friends that I always hung around with. Unfortunately, I am no longer in touch with them. My daughter has a few people she knew in public school that she still talks to, and there are some from the youth organization she was involved in she still sees. Who will my son have to talk to from his childhood? That really makes me sad. When we left a couple of homeschool groups that just weren't fitting our needs anymore, the few teens that were in those groups have never gotten in touch with him. I have since found out that they are all buddy-buddy with each other. It makes me wonder then, what's wrong with my son? Did he do or say something to the other teens to make them mad? I don't think he did. I'd like to think it's one of those "out of sight, out of mind" type things. I guess I just worry so much about him. It took a long time for him to come out of his shell. I'd hate to see him go back into it. It would be nice if he found someone his own age to be his "best friend" rather than only want to hang around mom and dad (although it's nice he likes to be around us, but he needs more than us). I will continue to do what I can for him to see that he has other teens to be with. He should be out there just hanging out and talking on the phone or perhaps going on a date, doing something besides sitting at home all the time.

2 comments:

ChristineMM said...

Hello,
Just wondering if your teen plays role playing games online, or what kind of thing is he doing online?

I heard two scary things about role playing games and emotions. I have a blog post drafted and hope to polish it up and publish it in the next day or two.

Terry said...

I have heard about all the dangers of online games and the addiction some people seem to have to them. He likes the MMORPG (I had to ask him what that was - which is Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). He is only allowed to play his online games from 6 - 10 pm. There is no playing any other time. I know that some of his other homeschool friends that are allowed to be on the computer as long as they want. Most of them even have their own computer.

I know that if there were other teens close enough to us that he could go hang out with, he would. Our problem is, we live about 30 mins from a "major" city (if you can a populated city of less than 30,000 a "major city"). He does not drive yet, so either I or my husband has to take him and either hang around wherever he's at or waste gas by driving all the way back home. The kids I know out in our area that do homeschool are much younger than him.

We are working on his driving so that he will be able to get his license soon and then if he wants, get a job. This would also allow him to go visit those homeschool friends who live further away.

He had his first teen court case the other night and several other teens showed up that were not at the training. I think he will fit in okay with them. They must have chatted with him while in court because one said something to him about being homeschooled and pop quizzes.

I'm a worry wart and sometimes overly worry. I'm sure things will turn out okay.